I was … not all that successful last time when I joined in as they memorized the first part of John 1. I’m looking forward to trying again with a different chapter, because I know I can do it (I did it with Romans 8!). And even if I don’t really memorize it completely, the effort of trying to memorize it still is beneficial.
Why Do I Bother?
One of my favorite aspects about memorizing scripture is that as I do my daily Bible reading and come across a scripture I previously memorized, it JUMPS off the page at me. Even if I couldn’t have told you the verse before reading it, it’s clearly somewhere in my brain still because it is oh-so-familiar. It helps reassure me that the effort I put into memorization isn’t wasted, even when I can’t spout the verses off without prompting.
Sound Good? Want To Participate?
- If you’re interested in joining in on memorizing 1 Peter 1, the Do Not Depart group will be starting August 19, with a scheduled finish of November 17.
- You can register at Do Not Depart on Wednesday the 8th, and they send encouraging emails.
- You can also “Like” their Facebook page for more encouragement,
- They’re also on Twitter at @DoNotDepart,
- You can join the conversation on Twitter using the hashtag #HideHisWord.